If you have been with us for a while now I'm sure you noticed I use onions and mushrooms in pretty much every recipe. Well, this meat pie is no exception.
With a buttery flaky crust, scalloped potatoes, Friend Of The Farm Extra Lean Ground Beef and a few other ingredients this makes for a week nights favorite.
Pie Crust (homemade or from store)
1lb Friend Of The Farm Extra Lean Ground Beef
4 Strips Bacon
1/2 Cup Mushrooms
3-4 Medium Potatoes
2/3 Cups Table Cream
1 Egg (for brushing the top)
1 Tsp Garlic Powder
1 Tsp Italian Seasoning
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375F
2. Divide your Pie Crust into 2 equal balls. Roll out each ball into 10-12 inch round and drape one of them into your pie plate.
3. Cook your bacon (I prefer to bake it in the oven at 375F until nice and crisp) & brown the ground beef. Season ground beef with garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
4. Slice onion and mushrooms and sauté until onion is translucent. I absolutely love this Starfirt dual food processor to chop up onions. They come out so finely chopped and I spare my eyes from tears.
5. Using mandoline slice potatoes very thinly, about 1/8 - 1/4 inch slices. You can also use the knife but if you cook often and like scalloped potatoes as much as I do it is definitely worth the investment.
6. Time for some layers! I usually do 3 layers. First a layer of potatoes in circular single layer, slightly overlapping. Then comes 1/3 of the ground beef followed by 1/3 crumbled up bacon, onions and mushrooms. Repeat this step until all of the layers are complete.
7. Heat up the table cream on the stove or microwave until it starts to simmer. This will result in your potatoes starting to cook immediately and ultimately not burning the top. Pour the cream over the layers evenly.
8.Cover the pie with the leftover dough, trim the edges and crimp the edges closed.
9.Brush the top and edges of the crust with egg wash. Make a few slits in the center of the top crust for the steam to release.
10. Bake the pie for 40-55 minutes. One way to check if the potatoes are done is to carefully poke the potatoes with a fork or toothpick thru one of the slits. If the potatoes are tender the pie is done!
I like to serve this dish with roasted veggies and some gravy.
Enjoy this beautiful and delicious dish and let me know how it turns out!
I adore my slow cooker. It allows me to prepare supper when my kids are being good and I actually have time for it rather than in crazy afternoons.
This recipe needs 20 minutes prep, cooks in slow cooker and you end up with the most delicious Salisbury steak and gravy. Whip up some potatoes and your dinner is served.
For the patties
1 lb Friend Of The Farm Extra Lean Ground Beef
2 Tbsp milk
1/2 Italian bread crumbs
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2tsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp cooking oil - for browning the patties
Salt & Pepper to taste
For the gravy
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 packet brown gravy mixture
1 1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 white onion - sliced
2 cups mushrooms - sliced
1.In a large bowl combine all of the ingredients for the patties. Mix together until full combined. Form the meat into 6 patties and set aside.
2. In a different bowl mix together all the ingredients for the gravy. Mix until smooth and set aside.
3. Heat up a large skillet over medium high temperature. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Once it's hot add your patties and brown on both sides(no need to fully cook).
4. Slice up your onion and mushrooms.
5. Add half of the mushrooms and onions to the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the patties on the top. Add the remaining mushrooms and onions on top and pour over gravy mixture.
6. Cover and cook on LOW for 5h without opening the lid during cooking.
7.Serve with mashed potatoes and Enjoy!
Pizza is without a doubt definition of comfort food. Top it with our delicious Extra Lean Ground Beef, sautéed onions, mushrooms and cheese and you will never settle for takeout again!
Like any good pizza you got to start with homemade crust.
You will need
1 1/4 cup warm water
2 1/4 tsp yeast
2 Tbsp sugar
3 cups flour
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp salt
*this will make 3 crusts
Mix water, yeast and sugar and let sit for 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
Mix in flour, oil, salt & yeast mixture until well combined. You can do it by hand or use Kitchen Aid.
Form into a ball, cover and let rise at room temperature until doubled.
Divide into 3 equal balls and let rise for additional 30 minutes.
Prepare your toppings while you wait.
1 lb Extra Lean Ground Beef
Pizza sauce to taste
3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
2 tsp oregano
Salt & pepper
1. Start by browning Ground Beef as you normally would. Make sure you season it with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Cut up onion and sauté until translucent. Set aside.
3. Wash and cut your mushrooms. Set aside.
4. Shred cheese. Set aside.
1. Stretch out pizza dough to desired size.
2. Top with pizza sauce, ground beef, onions, cheese, mushrooms and sprinkle with oregano.
3. Bake in pizza maker until bottom is golden brown or in the oven at 475F until crust is browned about 10-15 min.
Ground Beef Wellington is one of those meals that is so easy and incredibly delicious at the same time! It is the ultimate crowd pleaser.
1 lb our Extra Lean Ground Beef
2 eggs (more to brush the top)
4 Tbsp bread crumbs
2 Tbsp dried parsley
2 cloves minced garlic
3 Tbsp butter
230g cremini mushrooms
1/2 cup beef broth
1tsp Italian seasoning
2 sheets puff pastry
1/2 cup cheese
Salt & Pepper to taste
Prepare mushroom & onions
Finely chop mushrooms and onion. Preheat a medium size frying pan on medium high heat and melt butter. Add mushrooms and onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic, parsley and beef broth and cook until the liquid reduces.
Let cool ( I usually put it in the fridge while I prepare the rest).
You want your mushroom & onion to be completely cooled down because it will make working with puff pastry much easier.
In a large bowl add your ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, parsley, milk, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and mix until fully combined. Divide the meat mixture into 8 equal balls and form thin patties.
You should have 2 sheets of puff pastry in front of you. Cut each sheet into 4 equal squares. This will come to 8 squares total. Top each square with a little bit of shredded cheese, then your mushroom & onion mixture. Finally, top with a thin patty. Pull the corners together and pinch together making sure it is completely sealed. Put into baking sheet, pinched side down, and make small slits on the top. Brush with beaten egg.
Bake at 400F for 30-40 minutes until golden brown and meat is cooked thru.
Serve with fresh salad, whipped potatoes & gravy.
I hope you will give this recipe a try and it will make its way onto your table for some special occasions. Let me know how it turns out!
What you'll need:
Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook your lasagna pasta al dente.
I cook enough pasta for 3 layers total. Drain and set aside.
STEP 2 - Meat & Tomato Sauce
In a large frying pan ad 1Tbsp of olive oil. Finely chop your onion and sauté until translucent. Add in your Extra Lean Ground Beef and brown completely. Add the tomato sauce and season with 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning,1 tsp garlic powder 2 bay leaves, salt and pepper. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
STEP 3 - Béchamel Sauce
In a medium pot melt 4 Tbsp butter on medium heat. Slowly add in your flour and whisk until completely combined. Let slightly brown. Slowly add in your milk and whisk constantly (you might need more or less milk depending on how much you browned butter and flour). Once you get it to a creamy texture add in 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder, salt and pepper constantly stirring. You can add more or less cheese depending on your taste but you want it to be nice and creamy.
STEP 4 - Assemble
Preheat your oven to 375F. Take a 13"x9" casserole dish and lay down your 1st layer of pasta (some recipes don't use the bottom pasta layer but this way you don't leave any sauce behind!) Add 1/2 of your meat sauce and top with 1/3 of béchamel sauce(you need some for the top layer). Add your 2nd layer of pasta and repeat. Meat sauce, béchamel sauce & layer of pasta. Once you are at the top layer evenly spread the leftover béchamel sauce, sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and sprinkle with 1/2 tsp oregano.
Bake for 20-30min until cheese is completely melted and golden brown.
I hope you like this recipe and it becomes one of your go to meals!
Let us know how it turned out