These teriyaki meatballs are juicy and tender flavor bombs topped with homemade teriyaki sauce that will make you wanna lick your plate clean.
Quick, easy and cheap week night meal that can easily be made in crock pot or ready to go in the freezer for extra quick supper.
1LB Friend of the Farm Extra lean ground beef
1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
*since they will be covered in a flavorful teriyaki sauce you want to keep your meatballs fairly simple.
1 1/4 cup water (separated)
5 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tbsp honey
4 cloves or garlic
1tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp cornstarch
*you could use more or less garlic and ginger, depending on your liking.
1. Combine all meatball ingredients and mix until well incorporated.
2. Shape into meatballs. I like to shape them into small, bite size balls but you could definitely make them bigger.
3. Fry meatballs in a pan over medium high heat until fully cooked or place them on a baking sheet and bake at 375 for about 20 minutes(or more depending on the size).
Make sure they are fully cooked so they don't fall apart.
4. For the sauce, mix 1 cup water, brown sugar, soy sauce, honey, garlic and ginger.
Pour over meatballs in the sauce pan and bring to a boil. Let simmer for a couple minutes.
5. Mix remaining 1/4 cup water with cornstarch to create a slurry. Make sure water is cold so it doesn't create clumps.
6. Slowly stir into the sauce pan and bring it back up to a boil.
7. Cook until the sauce has reached the consistency you desire.
I served the Teriyaki meatballs over white rice, roasted squash(Burgess buttercup squash) and beet horseradish relish.
Top it with sesame seeds, chives and red pepper flakes for extra fancy look and supper is served. I am always surprised how flavorful it is with only handful ingredients that I always have on hand.
You could also use store bought teriyaki sauce but I find that making it at home is very easy, way more affordable and the flavor is immeasurably better.
I hope you give this meal a try and it makes your regular meal planing list.
Helena shares her every day & special occasion recipes.